Tuesday 13 March 2012

An Obsession


You know when you know something about yourself that you want nothing but to change, but it has to take an incident to instigate that change? Do you know what I mean when I say that?
            Let’s say you do. Now, I have an obsession—an obsession of the truth.
            To most people, this would seem like a good obsession; no, a great obsession.
            But to me, this obsession has gone beyond control, and it’s time I pull back a little bit.
            I’m judgmental, I’ll admit it, whether I actually tell people my judgments… Well, that’s a different story. The point is, I live life thinking everybody has a certain opinion about me, and I hate it because I feel like I have to live up to the person I’ve always been.
            I never let myself be who I want to be, and people seem to come to the conclusion that I’m this person and nothing will ever change. That in itself is a judgment of me, and I hate that it makes it harder for me to, well, be who I want to be.
            But at the same time, I’ve come to realize, I’m making a certain judgment myself. I’m judging that what everyone wants to see is what they’ve always seen, and I’m not taking into account what they actually want.
            I don’t know if you see how this connects to an obsession of truth. Let me break it down a little more. Often, I make rash judgments of people based on what I know (the same way I think everyone judges me), and sometimes, the facts don’t add up. Sometimes, it’s simply that the facts don’t add up the way I want them to because people tend to say one thing but mean another.
            And the little lies, the little omissions of truth, the little two-faced characters… These plague our world today, and I always want to know what’s really wrong with someone, the real reason they’ve been acting the way they have, what leads to a certain incident.
            Without people telling the truth, I’m forced to guess because of this crazy obsession to know. And I want to stop these judgments, because it makes me act cold, or snobby, to certain people. It conveys me as an ice princess.
            But it’s a wicked cycle of my over-thinking leading to my thinking that everyone judges me, leading to me judging everyone else, leading to a vague sort of truth I can come up with using what I know, making me obsessed. I don’t know if that makes sense.
            However, I do know I want to stop obsessing over knowing everything. No matter how agitated I get by not knowing what a certain person is doing, I need to let life go on and let time take me where I’m supposed to go.
            The world is a slow, slow place, and sometimes I want to skip to the end of the book without messing with all the complexities of life.
            I need to learn to stop shutting people out.
            I want to stop obsessing and… be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment