Tuesday 9 October 2012

Grave Unjustness

Sometimes, I can't decide if people are stupid or overly considerate.

I really don't want to name names. I'm not the kind of person who's going to complain right out that something unjust has been done to me, because, hey, life is unfair. I'll get over it. I do, however, feel a need to rant, right here.

I'm singing a duet in my musical, and it's obvious to everyone that I need some kind of mike. Now, I left to KL for three days, missing three days of rehearsal, days that just happened to be the day everyone was given a mike. I wouldn't have been mad if the mikes really had all run out, and that everyone with some kind of solo or big role had taken that up.

But one girl doesn't have a single solo. Sure, she sings a special harmony with a few others in one song, but the others aren't miked, so... why should she be?

And the day I got back, I went straight to the teacher, told him the problem, and went on to tell our techies about it, since they run the entire system. What did they say? That the girl I'm singing my duet with has more lines--that's why she has a mike and I don't.

But it makes no sense when she only has one more line than me, and we're in the same scenes, and she can't very well sing a duet without a duet partner.

Who knew techies were so stupid? Or maybe it was just the two I talked to.

No matter. What matters is that I don't have a mike, not a face mike anyway. The musical gets to look unprofessional because the teachers stuck me with a hand mike. And hello! That girl who doesn't even have a solo still has a mike. It's not like her having a mike makes much of a difference. They can take it away from her. But they either don't see the problem, or they just want to make my life miserable. And I'm a senior. She's a freshman.

Does that seem fair to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment