Wednesday 31 October 2012

In the Dead of the Night

Two posts in one day. I'm not trying to make up for all the slow blogging, but actually, it's Halloween, and I wanted to blog about it.

I've always wondered what it is that people really fear about Halloween when a lot of it--zombies, ghosts, etc--are just make believe characters created for the simple sake of scaring people. But if people got it into their heads that these characters don't exist... where's the fear in that?

Maybe I'm being a bit far fetched here (or maybe I'm just exhausted; there's a high possibility of that), but I'm wondering what the scariest monster would look like. They wouldn't have to appear in the dead of the night. No. And I'm just going off the top of my head here.

I'm pretty sure they would have to be real, or at least realistic. The idea of a realistic monster strays far away from zombies, actually. And thinking about it right now makes me sad because, well, the realistic monsters would have to be serial killers, or any killers for that matter, or people who rape others or use others in ways I don't even want to describe.

But that's not what Halloween is about.

I think, and this is just a theory I'm coming up with on the spot, that people need those make believe monsters in order to remind themselves that sometimes, they can laugh at being scared. I feel like it brings people a kind of relief.

Because honestly, even for someone who hasn't been through as much as probably a lot of others have, zombies can't be as scary as some of the stuff we have to face in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment